Thursday 6 September 2018

5/9/18 To Perth

The last night in Albany was disastrous for me.  Suffering from a bit of a cold, my sleep was continually interrupted by the howling winds.  As usual, John barely stirred.  It rained as we got away, then intermittently during the day.  That wasn't a problem, my dressing too lightly was the problem for me.  Who'd have thought it would only be 8.5C in the middle of the day!  I think the highest I saw was 12C.  So I was bloody cold on the bike.
We'd packed sandwiches for lunch, but I suggested we have a hot meal at the Pemberton pub.  Roast of the day (lamb) and a hot coffee warmed us up.  Then I put more gear on my top at least for the rest of the ride.  Riding among the tall trees was uplifting.  Again, water in pools and puddles everywhere.  Many of the uncropped and ungrazed areas were littered with white funeral lilies.  Eventually the trees became shorter, then scrubbier as we approached the coast.
We made it to Hamelin Bay caravan park, which had been recommended to John by the German motorcyclists we'd crossed paths with a couple of times.
(I reckon John was sucked in because it had 'Bay' in the name.)

Its in a reserve, with cabins and caravans nestled among the trees.
Our cabin was lovely.  No WiFi or mobile, and only bore water, but we reckoned the shower was no harder than at Esperance, which takes the cake so far for hard water.  Having sandwiches with us for tea was handy.  No shops nearby.  (Cheese & biccy & port snack first of course.)

We went for a walk down to the bay (naturally).  Cool and windy!
John haring off into the distance.

Memories of a jetty once heavily used, now all but gone.
Judging by the signboards, the area would be good for snorkelling or scuba diving.

This greedy guy reckoned a few bits of cheese (from my hand) wasn't enough.
He gave a bit of a chortle, and the rest of his family turned up for a handout.
I gave them some muesli and dried cranberries next morning.  Not as good as cheese, but acceptable.


That night, I had a good sleep.  It was quiet as.  The sound I heard intermittently that sounded like rain, we reckon was the airconditioner.

From the caravan park, we rode into Augusta for a quick look and to check our messages.  (I was warmly dressed this time.)  John's brother had died that morning in Melbourne (expected), and communication with the ladies at Mandura we were supposed to stay with, had failed somewhat, so we rode on to Perth via their place for coffee, stopping only for fuel and a bit of lunch.

This is the rear of the ladies' Mandura house which abuts the river.  While we were there, dolphins were putting on a display not far away.

 After a torturous ride through Perth traffic, we got to John's brother's place at Dianella, where we'll stay for an as yet indeterminate time.
I swear Perth is much worse than Adelaide for the amount of traffic, and the snarl on what is supposed to be a 100km/h highway (Kwinana).

7/9/18 Today I had a lovely visit with my old boss in Perth, Eddie and his wife Lily.  I think of them often, but rarely get in touch.  Eddie hasn't changed.  More obsessed with electronic gadgets than I am!  Lunch and a few coffees at their place passed quickly.  I accompanied Eddie to JB HiFi while he swapped a drone which he'd been given by his son (a button had fallen off).  I was impressed by the great salesman (Ben) who helped Eddie (and me with my drone & camera questions). He was friendly, helpful and fairly knowledgeable. Restored my faith in JB (a little).  Eddie now has yet another toy to play with, and I almost did, but the smaller one I had my eye on didn't fold up, so would be a pain to carry on the bike.  The capabilities of the more expensive drones ($1200+) is amazing.  (I'm still tempted.)
Then back to Austin's where the boys watched footy and ate pizza.

The brothers Crowe, outside Austin's house which he built himself.


8/9/18  Sadly, John flies back to Adelaide today.  He has a medical issue he's been told to get sorted sooner rather than later.  He'll get his bike trucked back.  I'm spending the night at Steve & Heather's, the other friends I have in Perth.  It will be good to catch up with them too.
Decision time for me!

After breakfast, farewelled John & Austin and rode to Maddington shopping centre.  Had some lunch and picked up a few things.  Then to Heather & Steve's.  Discussed roads to take north to see wildflowers.  Tea and a lovely bed with my own bathroom.  Got told it was Heather's birthday next day, so of course I had to hang around for the "high tea".

9/9/18 Went to airport with H&S to pick up Mary (of the hearing dog training centre at Verdun), the trainer of their dog who was a companion dog for their daughter.  We all wandered around at Tomato Lake then had a coffee in company with some greyhound owners.  It was a doggy morning.  Dropped Mary back at the airport, then home to prepare for the afternoon tea.  (Well H&S did.)  Steve had done lots of sandwich corners, scones and small quiches.  Sausage rolls and Heather's cheesecake with a bought birthday cake, was more than enough grub for everyone who came.  (I didn't get a group photo.)


Heather had helpers to blow out the candles.



 This cake was lovely.  No, MMBear didn't get any.

Some interesting guests at the high tea, including Adrian, who does video production, including with his drone.  We chewed the fat about drones for a while.  :)

I'd messaged my mate Eddie about when he would be at his unit at Broome, and could he put up a guest for a few days.  His reply was, for a few days, yes.
So if I get to Broome by the 5th October, I can probably spend some time there with Eddie.  Then of course I might as well go on.
So the tentative plan at this stage is to continue north on my own, after staying here at H&S's for a couple more nights.  (They make it pretty comfortable for me here.)  I want to see wildflowers anyway, maybe Kalbarri, Ningaloo Reef, Exmouth.
I plan to go up the Great Northern Highway to Dalwallinu (wreath wildflowers), then toward the coast and up. I'll keep an open mind (well, open for me anyway).
I've been told to telegraph my intentions beforehand rather than afterwards, so I'll keep Michele at least, across my intended targets.
(I've been talked out of taking the Gunbarrel Highway, due to fuel distance, and rough terrain.)

10/9/18 Great sleep meant a slow start.  Internetting, then weakening and visiting a drone shop (DJI at Cannington).  Bought one!  A Spark.  -Not keeping up with Eddie, but hopefully good enough with a cheaper unit than his.  Came back to H&S's to do some reading and battery charging.  Discovered that I should have got a controller and SD card as part of the online special.  Checked my receipt, not only did I pay full price, but the controller was listed on the receipt.  (Though they gave me discount on the extra battery I bought.)  After ringing DJI, getting Melbourne, getting a local call back, I could either collect the controller, or they'd post it.  Yeah right.  Ready to get on the bike, and its on and off pouring outside.  So Steve drove me to the shopping centre.  I did good.  They gave me a larger SD card, a couple of different handy bags (as Ulysses members will have seen at AGMs) and a cap, as apology.  I was also able to swap their freebie belt/arm holder for some rotor protectors (I'll need them more).
So I'm hoping I can get some good aerial footage of wildflowers and stuff.  -Once I figure out how to work this bloody complicated thing!

11/9/18 Lazy day.  Did a fair bit of Internet research on places, and some web updating.  A bit of shopping and refuelled (wrong part of the price cycle!).  Steve drove me to a local huge park.  Walked to high ground to avoid the bog, and test flew the drone. It was great, once I figured out how to get it off the ground.  Very stable, able to withstand wind.  Slow, but that was because it was in beginner mode.  I'm still a beginner.  Unfortunately I reversed the sense of the video on/off, so didn't get useful footage.  But what i saw was pretty good (if large in file size!).

Another party!  I went along with H&S to drinks and nibbles to farewell Tracy & Ben, who are going to Italy for a sea change.  I'd met Tracy's mum at Heather's birthday "high tea".  -I have to stay at the Geraldton Backpackers, where Tracy's aunt reigns.
(Sorry Heather, I cut you off.)


12/9/18  Got away around 9.  Still managed to fit everything, including the new drone.  Put Dalwallinu into the GPS and followed it.  (Steve said that was where I'd find wreath flowers.)

11 comments:

  1. Wow the cabin looked idealic. Hard to believe it could be sp cold! Dianella, that's not far from where we used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks & sounds like you have been having the best time despite some cold days Ken. Hope your mate John is ok...what a disappointment for you both. Also sad about the
    the passing of Johns Brother. Yes decision time for you....stay safe. V & K.xoox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame the trip has taken this turn. But, it can be character building travelling alone (no-one to argue with). Keep the reports coming, I'm happy coming along for the ride (figuratively speaking).!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day Ken - Good decision (I think!) When we were over there we saw the wildflowers in the Morowa - Mullawa area. They were quite spectacular.
    Around Mullewa is where you see the wreath flowers. We also went to Mt. Leseur National Park & saw some great wildflowers including black Kangaroo Paws.
    Plan carefully - take it easy - keep in touch!
    😉,Darryl & Jenni.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the next part of your ride Ken. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm getting itchy feet Ken. Get back on your bike.!! The drone sounds interesting to play with. I have a tiny one, I still haven't mastered it after a couple of years. Possibly because I crack it with it and put it in the cupboard for a while. One day....... Keep the reports up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, that was posted at 10.43 am on 11/9/18. Clock's wrong Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Face it Ken, it was inevitable that you got the better drone. Just be careful where you fly it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see some footage. Stay upright. Love you, Michele

    ReplyDelete