Monday 27 August 2018

27/8/18 Home to Kimba

We finally left for our round Oz journey. Here is me outside my place at a disgusting hour for a retired bloke..
The bike is heavily loaded, and we are taking tents in case we get stuck with no accommodation somewhere.

So I ride to John's and we leave from there, headed for Pt Augusta.
A refuel and lunch there, and we head off for Kimba

Once we hit the Kimba turnoff, the traffic lightens (not that it was an issue), and the dead kangaroo count soars.
Not only kangaroos, we passed an upturned ute with some caravanners helping out.  We figured a couple of old guys on bikes would only get in the way, so kept going.  Soon we passed a copper screaming toward the crash site.  We assume the driver either fell asleep, or avoided a roo by driving off the road and overturning the vehicle.

As happened last time to Michele & I at the Kimba pub, the room price ends up being more than they quoted.  They blame an old website (again), but its hard to see the relevance with a verbal quote over the phone.  To keep John happy, we were each treated a drink.  I think we gained, on balance.

While john is having a snooze, I take MMBear to see the silo art.
Its very spectacular, and is great on dusk, when two strategically placed floodlights make it look like the homestead lights are on inside.  (Been here before.)


We'll be eating at the pub.  Fish sounds good.  For afters we can sample some of the port I brought along, from a 10L cask, memento of our trip to Rutherglen.
(Did I mention I'm loaded up?)  We are both tired.  The ride was not too long, at around 480km, but we are old guys, and not used to it.

My fish and chips were a bit greasy. After a look at the silos (John was napping when I went the previous arvo), we headed off before 9.

2 comments:

  1. I Love the picture of
    MMBear at the silos. After a few daus you two old guys should be in the swing of it all. Have a good sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read that you guys have hit the road. Beware of the roos;some of them are not too smart!!!!
    Safe riding.
    Rebecca and Reg

    ReplyDelete