Thursday 30 August 2018

30/8/18 Ceduna to Eucla

Light rain as we left Ceduna around 8.30am.  Little traffic.  The majority of vehicles were holidayers, mostly a 4WD pulling a medium size caravan (again).  If all the grey nomads all stayed home, I reckon we'd have a glut of fuel!
We passed two signs warning of roos, wombats & camels, then one that added emus.  Phew!  Despite all that, I only saw one dead baby wombat, and one dead roo, which had an eagle eying it off until John rode past.  Then signs warning of stray sheep and cattle (didn't see any).  It was pretty windy.


The grass and crops are still green now, but clearly toward and after Ceduna, the crops are short and sparse.  The bottle shop guy reckoned the rain has come too late, but previous years have been good, so farmers shouldn't grizzle too much.

Head of the Bight
We went in here to see whales.  We brought MMBear.
John was impressed by the white sand dunes, so he took this photo.  Unfortunately you can hardly see the dunes (behind me).
No, MMBear doesn't travel sitting on that bag.

The walk to the viewing area.  ($12 entrance fee for seniors.)

No that isn't a flying bug in the pic, its a whale (so John says).

The walk down to the 'boardwalk' viewing platform.  Wheelchair friendly.  The dark bit centre left, is a mother and calf.  My first ever view of a whale in the sea.

Hard to see, but there are 3 pairs of whales in this photo.

Here is the closest pair, 100 to 200 metres away.  Soon after it looked a bit confusing, until I worked out that another pair had joined them, presumably for the calves to interact with each other, but still next to their mothers.  The calves were on the inside flanked by mums.

This whale was on its own just having fun.  A male?  First the tail...

 then the head.

 This gorgeous little guy crossed the boardwalk in front of us, and slowly meandered into the scrub.  There were quite a few different birds too.  The swallows were numerous and graceful as always.

We didn't see any sea lions.

The rugged cliffs.  Reminded me of the 12 apostles area of the Great Ocean Road.

The tourist centre and entrance to the park.  Before we exited, we sat down and had an icecream.  I chose an ice-crusted one, thinking it would be a bit healthier than the sweet creamy one.  I think the outside was solid sugar!

Two guys were riding across the centre on these.  The German tourist was on the 1150GS, the ex-Germany Perth guy was on the R100RT outfit.  Both old bikes.  More gutsy than us on our new, reliable bikes, on sealed roads.

Its a mystery.


John on the boardwalk.


 Two fat guys in the carpark, one very small.

Was it worth a look?  Sure, especially as I hadn't seen whales before.  (John had.)  Hard to say, but my guess is we saw around 10 pairs.  They mostly kept moving to our right (West), though some just stayed frolicking in the same spot.  They were really a bit far away, especially for photos with just a phone lacking a zoom lens.  Those tourists with the huge zoom cameras would have got memorable shots.  I took some phone video, but of course the whales always did something spectacular just as I stopped filming.
The day was dry, but blustery.  I imagine its windy at that place most of the time.

We rode off, and a few k's down the road, I realised I'd done the same trick I did in Tasmania some years back.  Forgotten to put on my glasses.  In Tassie I'd ridden over them so they were in bits.  This time I rode back to find them on the ground with just a bent arm, probably when they fell off my bike in the wind while I was putting on my helmet.  I really should be more careful!

Onward to Eucla.

We rode in to one of the cliff lookouts.

No, my name isn't Cliff Edges.


Rugged.




Made it to Eucla.

Looks lonely outside our Eucla motel room, but by after dark, there were quite a few vehicles there.
The room was old but good.  Our roast lamb was expensive at $28, but very nice.  My Coopers Pale Ale stubby was perhaps the dearest I've had at $9.

Next morning we rode off in drizzle.  It stayed cool but we saw some sun.  Hot mass-produced pies for lunch at Caiguna.  I've forgotten the brand, but we enjoyed them.  
Sadly in another moment of carelessness, I moved my bike from the petrol pump straight over my earbuds which I'd unknowingly dropped.  They were graunched and grubby, but still worked.  (I do carry a spare set, but they aren't quite as good sounding as my old reliable first pair of Etymotics.)

Onwards from there to Balladonia where we had a drink and tea.  The highest price room we've had.  Perfectly adequate.

The riding has been pretty good.  Though we've had drizzle and overcast skies, the winds weren't as bad as forecast.  We both agree that a bit of cool drizzle is preferable to blazing heat.  The main disadvantage of an overcast sky, is that the scenery isn't highlighted by the sun.
We haven't tented yet, and my feeling is that its nicer folding up a wet bike cover in the morning (its rained most nights), than folding up a wet tent, especially while its raining.

There's been a lot of roadkill on the side of the road, but no live animals to be seen.  Mostly roos, but lots of unidentifiable small lumps of meat (which were probably roo).  The crows and eagles are doing very well, thank you.
It was pleasing to start seeing one of my crazy favourites, galahs.  And a few Murray Magpies.  Crows predominate though.  After the treeless plain, the vegetation becomes low trees and mallee, with saltbush understory.  More birds then.

We passed a few big semis carrying hay, presumably bound for NSW or thereabouts.  It would be pretty expensive by the time it got there!  What amazed me was that they weren't covered.  Not even a top tarp.  With rain on the way and during overnight stops, that hay will be very heavy to unload.  Maybe its that NSW needs the water too?

As usual I often listened to music while riding (when not talking to John over the intercom).  For me its a rock-around-Oz ride.  A bit hard in very windy sections, but today was fine.  I don't know what mode my Samsung player app is in, but its been playing random songs, which I thought was OK.  I make it a challenge to guess who the artist is, as fast as I can.  Though that's tough when its a song I hardly ever listen to.  I don't know what algorithm the player is using, but I'm pretty much over Barbara Streisand, and there has been too much Bee Gees!  It's not just alphabetic, cos I've had some Yes.  And I think its hoovered up all the audio files on my phone.  Yesterday I was a bit confused when I heard a salesman talk to me about my bike, and when I checked my incoming calls, he wasn't there.  Today when I heard another phone message, I realised that the player was playing old message bank telephone audio clips!
Anyway, if I don't get some Pink Floyd come up soon, I'll have to take control of the program.

I'm loving my (new) motorbike.  And John is loving his.
We are happy little vegemites cruising along on the fairly good roads, with little traffic and big vistas in front.  Dressed for it, a bit of rain doesn't bother us.  I've been a bit more lightly dressed now, with the afternoons getting warmer.  If I'm feeling a bit cool, I turn on the heated handgrips and heated seat to compensate.  Luxury.  :)
We've cleaned up the port now. :(  John is quietly snoring.  Think I'll join him. 



2 comments:

  1. Keep on riding Ken! Now that I'm back home, I got injured starting on bathroom renovations instead of travelling!
    Another thing - leave us grey (bald in my case) nomads alone. Having lost most of my spine in 1972 (I think it is called marriage) I lost the rest when I succumbed to demands and bought an old caravan last year so stop picking on us. Last time I travelled that road (1973 -74) it still wasn't sealed. Hope to get there net year and not hold the trucks up too much! $12 to walk and look at own coast!
    Enjoy your travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report Ken. Keep em up. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete